Our History

Home 9 About 9 Our History Since 1894

A Brief History of UU Asheville

We’ve been here in Asheville since 1950, becoming an official member congregation of the Unitarian Association when we first were chartered in 1955 and then joining the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) in 1962, after the merger of the two denominations. After inhabiting our first worship space on Vermont Avenue in West Asheville for 15 years, we moved to our present location on Edwin Place in 1972. A history of our current site can be found below.   During our 60th anniversary year in 2010 we produced an historical narrative summarizing our past up to that point.

1890s & 1900s

Both Unitarians and Universalists had attempted to establish congregations in Western North Carolina as early as the late nineteenth century. Thomas Wolfe’s maternal uncle, the Rev. Henry Addison Westall preached to a “sparse congregation of Unitarians” who met in an “Upper Room,” probably of the Odd Fellows Hall on Broadway Street.  

1930s

The American Unitarian Association sent ministers to the area for brief preaching missions in the hope of generating interest. That campaign to spread the Unitarian message, chaired by Walter S. Adams, editor of the  Asheville Citizen, culminated with a series of radio addresses by Dr. Howard Westwood and Rev. Owen Eames. The area’s bad economic situation, though, deterred their efforts and the campaign to start a congregation in Asheville was postponed.

1950s

A group of ten spiritual seekers and free thinkers looking for a religious alternative to the community’s conservative Christian churches organized themselves as the Unitarian Fellowship of Asheville on May 9, 1950. The Rev. Lon Ray Call, minister-at-large of the American Unitarian Association, addressed the group at a meeting at the George Vanderbilt Hotel.

1960s

In May 1962 the growing congregation, with a membership of 67, was awarded church status by the Unitarian Universalist Association. Rev. Welch took a second retirement in April 1963, after eight fruitful years. The Rev. Richard Gross succeeded him as minister from July 1963 to March 1967, when he left to take a position with the North Carolina Heart Association. By that time church membership had grown to 140.

1970s

Architect and church member William O. Moore designed a sanctuary, activities building and religious education building, although construction of the latter had to be postponed. Ground was broken for the new building in July 1971, and shortly thereafter Lilian (Paula) Sandburg, widow of the poet Carl Sandburg, announced a gift of $25,000 toward building the social hall, to be named in his honor

1980s

In September 1983, the Rev. James Brewer became the church’s fifth minister.

The congregation again saw strong growth in membership and the founding of a choir under church member Bill Frisch. In 1987 a house next door to the church was purchased; two years later it was dedicated as the Thomas Jefferson House.

1990s

The Rev. M. Maureen Killoran was called as UU Asheville’s sixth settled minister in May 1991. She came to Asheville after having served five years as minister of the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Salem, Oregon, her first settlement. Under Rev. Killoran’s leadership the congregation grew significantly, eventually exceeding 600 members, and expanded its Sunday worship offerings from one to two services.

2000s

Dr. Killoran retired in December 2002 and was named Minister Emerita; The Rev. Dr. Neil Shadle, served as interim minister from January 2003 through June 2004. A consultant for many years to Unitarian Universalist churches, Dr. Shadle provided pastoral guidance and support to the congregation as it dealt with issues of transition and preparation for a new era, assisted the Board in reorganizing the church staff, spearheaded the development of an endowment and planned-giving program, initiated an all-church Program Council, among other initatives.

2010s

In June 2011, Rev. Sarah York retired as part-time Assistant Minister of Pastoral Care. It was obvious to all that a full-time rather than part-time minister was needed to provide the guidance and care that the congregation required, yet the budget could not sustain a full-time salary.   To address that dilemma, the Board chose to make use of a portion of a large bequest to develop a five-year staffing plan that would allow the immediate hiring of a full-time assistant minister.  

Recent History & Current Events

For a more detailed look at the last few years at UU Asheville, check out our Annual Reports. Every year the staff and lay leaders compile reports on what they’ve planned and accomplished the previous year. You can find the last 10 years of annual reports here.

Ministerial Staff

Over our history, the Unitarian Universal Congregation of Asheville has been served by 14 ministers; including lead ministers, part-time assistant ministers, a full-time associate minister, and a Minister of Faith Development. Each of our ministers has helped us grow into the active and vital congregation that we are today and for their service to us, we thank them.