The Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) has made a commitment on a national level to support undocumented and other immigrants. Members of UUCA have begun to take initiative in this area, working with local community partners to advocate for the undocumented community here in Western NC.
Sanctuary Discernment In Process
Beginning in the spring of 2017, our congregation has been exploring the possibility of providing physical sanctuary (or a safe living space) for a person or persons at risk of immediate deportation. We have been working within the larger WNC Sanctuary movement and educating ourselves about the logistics, resources, and risks involved with this work. The UUCA Board has tasked the Sanctuary Working Group with putting together a feasibility study to answer related questions to taking this step. Town hall meetings have been held on a monthly basis to provide space for congregants to ask questions and get updates about the Sanctuary Working Group’s progress.
- A Congregational survey of support for providing physical Sanctuary is available for congregants (members and friends) to fill out here. A paper copy is also available at the Earth & Social Justice table at coffee hour after services. This is another way for UUCA members and friends to ask questions and provide feedback to the possibility of stepping into this work.
- Please watch the congregation’s weekly E-News for regular updates. You may also find updates on UUCA’s Facebook group for members and friends.
- If you would like to be a part of the Sanctuary Working group that is exploring this issue and preparing for the potential of providing physical sanctuary, email Elizabeth Schell here.
Below are links to other online resources you may find of interest.
- UUCA Info Sheet about Sanctuary
- UUCA Online Survey re: physical Sanctuary
- PDF of Survey re: physical Sanctuary
- The Sanctuary Movement on UUA website
- National Sanctuary Movement website
- Citizen-Times coverage of Sanctuary march Spring 2017
- White Bear UU’s Sanctuary Statement/Process
- Sanctuary 101 (a few years behind, but very helpful information)
- UUA Love Resists blog post about Sanctuary
- UUA Toolkit for Sanctuary
- Inspiring video from American Friends about Sanctuary Everywhere movement
- Video: The Call to Sanctuary
- Article on Sanctuary by Caitlin Breedlove from Auburn Seminary
If you are seeking specific information related to immigration justice that is not covered here, please contact Rev. Lisa Bovee-Kemper.